Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Busy, but I've got all the time in the world...


(Above New lovelies in the making!)
It's that time of year, it is not quite winter, yet not quite spring, and in Southern California, it feels just like Summer. I have been keeping busy, reading, creating, looking for work and spending tons of time with Sam - since he is also looking for work.

I thought I would talk a little about something that has changed in the past few weeks, that I don't want to question too much. My husband has always been supportive of me in my creative / artistic endeavors, but not to the point where he wanted me to "quit my day job". Well, since I have "quit my day job" to move to San Diego, and seeing as there are little-to-no job prospects calling me - sad, I know; why not make a go of my crafting full time?

I don't want to tell him this as much as I will prove this to him. Nothing will change all that much, except that I will spend a lot more time dedicated to creating - I will continue to look for work, since we need things like health care and stable salaries. But, in the mean-time, while we are looking into the vast, perilous ocean that is our economy - I am going to try.  What has also changed is that he has taken more of an interest in my success.  Perhaps the magazine had something to do with that?  hmmm.  Knowing that others seek out my trinkets and actually like them, maybe he can appreciate that?


Today we ventured into Barnes and Noble to spend a few gift cards, I picked up two books - The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale. I remember seeing this book in my in-law's home and well, they are all-for positive thinking - always have been and it seems to work for them. I try to be positive most of the time, but inevitably, the blues can catch up to you on the best of days.

Another book I picked up is The Savvy Crafters Guide to Success : Turn Your Crafts into a Career by Sandra McCall.  So far, it has tips like "have an organized workspace" and "define your direction".  There is even a section on taking photos of your work.  I'll report back what I find in this book, it is a slim 127 pages.  Very colorful and it displays alot of the art and crafts that I like to buy and work with.
Hope it helps!

As I mentioned last week, Sam and I ventured to Tecate, MX.  It was a very interesting hour and a half.  It is a very small town, home of the Tecate brewery.  We ate dinner there in town, we drove around the few main streets and then came home.  Here is a picture of a famous "dive" bar Diana - which Sam walked into, then walked right out of.  He said that we were not going inside. lol.


Oh, and I hit another milestone this week - I made my 1,000 th sale on Etsy!  Woot-woot!!  It has been a lot of hard work, learninng and so much fun getting there.  I think that for the most part, what is important most Etsy sellers already know.  There is no magic recipe to good sales.  I think having the right product, good pictures, reasonable prices, and inviting customer service is key, just as in any sales situation.  At some point, you have to answer a tough question - "Would I buy from myself?"

No comments: